Monday, July 18, 2016

Plum Crazy

plum crazy, sharing recipes we loved using the fruit off our backyard plum tree
Our plum tree has been a beast this summer. Every morning we would go out and lo and behold, a dozen plus fruits just sitting on the ground waiting for us to come and gather them up. At the height of production we had to go out several times throughout the day to gather up the fruit. This lasted pretty much the whole of June. I was up to my eyeballs in plums. I naively picked some not-yet-ripe plums off the tree because I just couldn't wait. And then a week later I was cursing the world that there were more dang plums on the ground! 
 I also had a super cute helper who didn't mind getting down and dirty collecting them.
So, instead of letting all these beauties go to rot, I searched Pinterest for some recipes and got to cooking! These are my top three favorites and I highly recommend that you make them for yourself. 
homemade plum fruit leather, only 2 ingredients
I felt soooo Miss Suzy Homemaker making these fruit leather rolls. It was a simple enough process but because of the dehydrator taking 8+ hours to set these babies up it felt like a huge ordeal. I didn't realize how tart our plums are (not even sure what variety they are?) that adding more sugar than suggested would have been ideal. Now I know for next time! These were a hit with Brielana and Kinsey, the latter calling them "candy wrappers" haha (no clue why!)
Plum crumble bar- the best crumble recipe I've tasted! Works well with blueberries too!
This is one of the best crumble bars I have ever put in my mouth. Soft, flaky, not-too-sweet, deliciousness. Because our plums are so tart I made a simple powdered sugar and milk drizzle and fancied it up a bit. I love this recipe so much I've used it with blueberries too! 
This recipe may have gotten the better of me. In my haste to use the last of the plums, I neglected to put the ice cream maker drum into the freezer, doh! So instead of waiting another day I forged ahead and winged it. Everything came together but the freezing process was less than perfect and instead of getting creamy ice cream, I got crystallized sorbet. Still tasty, just not what I had envisioned. Lesson learned: freeze that ice cream maker drum!

I have a new love and appreciation for backyard gardening and our faithful plum tree. I'm already looking forward to next summer :)


Linking up here.
Pinterest_Hover Instagram Google_Plus Facebook
Email Twitter Goodreads Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. You are a rockstar!!! Yum! I love all of this and need I try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those "candy wrappers" look so yummy! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you have a plum tree! My boys would LOVE that! And all three of those plum recipes look amazing--but that fruit leather would be my fave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool that you have plums! I love the fruit rolls! Those have always been on my to do list to make from strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super jealous of your plum tree AND all those plum goodies. I love stone fruit and am pretty excited that peach season is here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Suzy Homemaker! That is a whole lot of plums and they look beautiful. Too many plums is not a bad problem to have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word this all looks amazing. I can't even imagine having a plum tree too! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what?! Everything looks delicious! Those fruit leathers, so freakin' cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you! Betty Homemaker Award totally goes to you! I'm super impressed with each of your plum creations, but I'm totally intrigued by the crumble bar. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word.... all these scrumptious treats!! Well done friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So amazing!! Was the tartness in the fruit leather a nice little touch though? Or just too much? Also, I always thought of Suzy Homemaker as married ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again... someone got to pick fruit and I am still left in the dust. We missed out on EVERYTHING this Spring. I am hoping to make up for it soon and pick a ton of apples!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A plum tree... I'm jealous! I love plums!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love any kind of crumble so that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you have a plum tree! They look delicious. Those plum fruit leathers look so yummy! Candy wrappers is darling! Love it. And the ice cream? Oh my word. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many fun recipes! I'm still not sure if I like plums, or have any idea what they taste like.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!