Monday, September 4, 2017

Lactogenic overnight oats for nursing mothers

The official countdown is on- I have less than a week (let that soak in for a minute!!!) before Clark joins our family! I am equal parts ecstatic and ready and nervous and preparing all the things. Breastfeeding is always my number one priority after giving birth (I have already spent 3.5+ years of my 6.5 years of motherhood dedicated to this expression of love!) and am gearing up for another two years of nourishing our son.

Since morning times are the most hectic in my household and we all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I wanted to focus on making that rush time less stressful by having an easy go-to meal; and these lactogenic overnight oats are just the answer!

Not only are they easy to prepare, just throw everything into a mason jar, you prep them the night before and let the fridge do its magic and the oats soften and the flavors mingle. Even better part? Use the same mason jar to heat and eat from! This can't be easier.  Bonus: all the ingredients in this recipe help produce/sustain your milk production!
Lactogenic Overnight Oats
Ingredients:
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 fresh or 2-3 dried apricots, diced
1 TBSP honey (a natural sweetener)
1 TBSP flaxseeds, optional
1/2 cup almondmilk or more depending on how thick/thin you like your oatmeal

Layer all the dry ingredients and then top off with almondmilk. Cover and shake to incorporate all the ingredients. Place in fridge overnight and heat in microwave the next morning. +Due to the variances in all microwaves I would say start at 30 seconds and check for 'doneness'. My microwave has low wattage so it takes about 1 minute to heat to my likeness. Enjoy!

*Oats are a great source of iron, calcuim and fiber. (source)
*Almonds and cashews are believed to boost breastmilk production. (source)
*Apricots are high in fiber, Vitamins A, C, potassium and calcium. (source)
*Flaxseed has phytoestrogens that can influence breast milk production and also contains essential fatty acids. (source)

This post was first seen on The Vintage Honey Shop blog.

Linking up here.
Pinterest_Hover Instagram Google_Plus Facebook
Email Twitter Goodreads Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Those look really good! I seriously can't believe his arrival is just days away. SO exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!! Im ready!
      And you could totally enjoy this without nursing a baby lol.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!