Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Fall Fun: Leaf Art

Our first accomplishment from our Fall Fun list:
Leaf Art
We started by gathering leaves on our daily dog walk.  I'm embarrassed to say this but I can only identify a few of the leaves we collected.  I know for sure we got pine needles, a Japanese maple leaf, an ivy sprig and an oak leaf, the others have me scratching my head(?)

We started by painting with the pine needles.  Here are Kinsey's observations:
It's like hard, I don't like the way it bends.  A paint brush is softer than the leaves.  I'm rubbing the paint with the leaves.  Mom!  When you mix the blue with yellow, you make green!

Our next craft with leaves was leaf rubbings.  Remember doing those as a kid?  Totally took me back to Kindergarten.  I glued our found leaves to a giant piece of art paper and had it dry overnight.  The next day I covered the leaves with paper and used two pieces of washi tape so the paper wouldn't move during the transfer.  

Our last leaf craft was hand print leaves.  Kinsey loved having her hands painted and probably could have kept going for longer.  She chose the colors of the paint, I painted it on with the brush and then we stamped her hand onto the paper.  After it dried we went back to add the veining and stems.

I thought it would be fun to display all this leaf art as a "quilt" so we cut down the paper to similar sizes and glued them down to the giant art paper. I added the gold washi tape around the sides for a border.
I'm not sure who had more fun, me or Kinsey.  But that's the best kind of art projects, if you ask me :)

And if you need more Leaf Art inspiration, check out Courtney's Teaching Together Blog Hop post!  She is one crafty mama!

Linking up with Beth.
Pinterest_Hover Instagram Google_Plus Facebook
Email Twitter Goodreads Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. What cute ideas! Leaf art is on my list... For two years in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you put it together like a little quilt! So much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well I am sure you were able to name 99% more than I could. I have no clue when it comes to leaves. I love this project! It came out so good. And Kinsey looked like she had the best time! Yay for Fall and all things Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!!! Your leaf art quilt is so cute! I love how you displayed the leaf art. Also, I totally did that leaf rubbing with Mason last year and he was less than impressed. I had fun though! Boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE the way you displayed it all in the leaf art quilt. SO pretty! You ladies have me feeling pretty inspired to make some leaf art too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is such a fun way to keep all the artwork together and display it!
    We don't have a ton of trees with actual leave - but have tons of pine trees. I never thought to simply use those! Marcus and I just might have to go on a hunt to see what we can find and make some of our own leaf art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! I love that quilt idea! That would be a perfect project to do with 2 kids, so they each can contribute some squares. Great idea! Totally stealing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute idea! Love it, now to go find some leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha there are those leaf crafts!! I love that you made the art into a little quilt, good idea. It looks super cute. I need bigger paper. We just ran out. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh what cute ideas! I'd be like you and have no idea what kind of leaves they were!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kinsey looks so proud of her artwork! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that you displayed it all as a quilt. So creative! And I love how proud Kinsey looks in that last picture. Adorable :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!