Monday, March 14, 2016

Stephanie from Wife Mommy Me {The Mommylogues Series}

Good morning, friends! I'm assuming we are friends. Because if you are a fan of Whitney, then we should be friends because let's face it, she is awesome and if you like her, I'm sure I'd like you! Anyways, I'm Stephanie, I blog over at Wife Mommy Me. I blog about everything. Really. Kids, food, books, favorite products, all things holiday and so much more. WMM is very much our son's baby book and because of that, I keep things open and honest. I share the good and the bad. But what I want to share with you today is how as a first time parent, I've learned that to succeed in this journey, you need to take it one day at a time.

I can hardly remember the first days as a mother. I have fuzzy memories of the early days - Connor sleeping on my chest, staying home, safe and warm, learning as we went, thinking our only child would stay little forever. I never imagined 3 years would fly by as fast as they have. As we moved out of the honeymoon parenting stage, I was shocked to discovered that parenting wasn't always as safe and warm as I remembered it to be. No, it's usually anything but. Curve balls are thrown, germs are shared, teething begins, sickness takes hold, personality forms, sass is a daily battle.

I've often wondered how we would ever get through the day. You know that golden hour that your husband walks through the day and your shift as a SAHM is over because know you have help! Connor wasn't a graceful teether and has been sick a lot thanks to some killer allergies. I recall a moment when I asked God to just get me to bedtime. Get us through the mess and let bedtime come and give us both (Connor and I) the break we need. It was then that I realize that parenting is as simple as this... surviving one day at a time.

I often joke that as long as we all go to bed at night, safe and sound, then it's been a successful day. We are in the middle of year 3 and while it's not been total madness there are moments when I tell myself "tomorrow will be better". Tomorrow we will start fresh and new and today will be a memory of what we survived. Because sometimes that's all you can do, survive. Now don't think I've been tortured with my motherhood. No, I've been blessed. I've been challenged and loved and pushed and made to grow and bend and flex. Connor has made me the person I was meant to be, even if it's been a bit messy at times. But I got here by taking it one day at a time.

So as we raise Connor, my husband and I repeat this one mantra over and over again: Take It One Day At A Time. We have to remind ourselves that as adults we are still learning and so is our son. We are learning to enjoy life together, to embrace the teachable moments and to pray through the tantrums. We don't know what the next day holds but as long as we get through today, then we know that we've survived another and before you know it, we've had a great week then a month and now almost 3 and a half years. Every one has survived, everyone is still thriving. So dear new parents or parents who are in the (terrible, ugly, no good) thick of it, just tackle today. Survive today and go to sleep tonight knowing tomorrow can and will be a better day.

Join our journey by connecting with me on Facebook, Instagram and visit our blog daily for new posts with a side of humor and sass. Thank you Whitney for having us today!

***


I'm so honored Stephanie was my guest this week! I love her refreshing honesty and sense of humor, plus we're both fellow book lovers and that's enough for me to call anyone a kindred spirit (also extra points for knowing what book that term came from ;)


***

Archives:

12 comments:

  1. Take it one day at a time....yes! We're still doing that, but what we often tell the kids after they've had a bad day is: tomorrow is a new day. .....I think you may be a kindred spirit after all. Gotta be Anne of Green Gables?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, some days that's the only way to get through it. Thankfully there are plenty of wonderful days that you don't want to end thrown in there too. Being a parent is definitely one of the hardest but most rewarding jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! Sometimes it's just taking it one minute/hour at a time. Those rough patches make the good minutes/hours/days that much sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love this. Motherhood is no joke. There are so many things that happen during the first year that throw you for a loop. Then comes the tantrums, attitude, sassy, silliness, and fun. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, totally. I have to sometimes tell Henry that, too, as we go to bed. Every day is a new day! Great advice!

    Becky
    www.bybmgblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often heard people say "the days are long but the years are short!" But I think those tougher days make the happy moments so much more special. So that we can really appreciate them!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree. Kids are changing and growing each and every day and we have to take things day by day. I learn something new about Mason everyday that helps me understand him just a little bit more. Everyday is an amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I concur - Whitney is awesome! And so are you, Stephanie. Two of my favorite blogger friends!! This is great advice - one day at a time. We are at the thick of realizing how important this is right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great reminder from one of my favorite mama's. One day at at time is all we can do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes take it one day at a time! For those first 5 months I stayed home, I just had to survive until Mr. got home! So true!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!