Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Coming Home

It's been 3 months since we moved (4 times in 5 years, crazy! We're not even military!) back into my childhood home. With my grandparents. And my mom. Seriously. There are 5 generations living under one roof, it's a wonder we're all still on speaking terms.

To clarify, as rational adults, my husband and I realized there was no way we could ever afford to buy a house of our own if we kept paying out bills and only saving sporadically. Enter the 'move in with the grandparents plan' (I have to add, this was actually my husbands idea, just so I don't come across as still attached to the apron strings.) And thankfully, my Grandparent's have a big two-story house with two kitchens (I'm pretty sure contractors across the country would be mortified by this revelation) and we quietly moved all our belongings from a two-floor townhouse into the equivalent of a studio apartment.

I have to be totally honest, the first couple of weeks were stressful; cleaning everything (at both homes), reorganizing, decluttering, furniture placement, down-sizing; in short the logistics were overwhelming. But somewhere into the 2nd month a routine emerged and life is settling down to a new normal.

This new normal includes family dinners eaten on the couch (to be discontinued soon believe you me) vacuuming the hardwood floors like its a hobby, and just for myself, starting this blog. Baby girl now has a wonderful front and back yard to play in, not to mention the neighborhood park around the corner. In all the hecticness of life I find myself right back where I have always felt loved, comforted, cared for. This is exactly what I want my daughter to experience too. 

Whoever said "you can't go home again" never moved back in with their parents because honey, I'm living proof that you can (and actually enjoy it!)

Yes, it takes time to adjust. Yes, the move made me struggle with doubts about my ability to provide for my family and to live the life I envisioned for us. But I know this is right for us right now. God reassures me daily. Little lady reassures me as she insists on going to Gramma's room to watch Psy's Gangnam Style video on Youtube (yeah, that's a whole other story!) I know it deep in my gut when the lights are out, the heaters blasting and everyone's down for the night; when I am over come with peace. This is home.



Signature
Pinterest_Hover Instagram Google_Plus Facebook
Email Twitter Goodreads Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!