Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Story of Us: How we met


When I take a look back at my life thus far, I definitely have a highlight reel; my first pet (an all black kitten named Midnight) the birth of my brother (we're 10 years apart.  Bless him, I practiced my mothering skills on him, ha) meeting my husband, getting married, carrying and giving birth to our daughters, Kinsey and Brielana, to name a few.  This is the story of how we met. 
High school.  

I get the willies just thinking about it.  It wasn't great and it wasn't bad, but there's just something repulsive and uncomfortable about those years, am I right?!  Too many hormones and self doubt.  But I was fortunate enough to meet my other half in Spanish class my Junior year, his Sophomore year, in 2001 (I'm older than him by 5 months.)

Now this is where things get a little fuzzy, because we had never talked before being seated next to each other, but we instantly became friends.  Like there was no awkward small talk just BOOM! friends.  And Linkin Park is the reason why.  

source
Say what???  Linkin Park was my favorite band, their debut album Hybrid Theory was my jam and our first conversation was about them.  Best ice breaker ever.  I also want to take a moment and apologize to the first year Spanish teacher that we tormented by 1) always talking 2) never bringing our books to class 3) never doing the assignments correctly.  I'm pretty sure if he only knew we wound up married with children, he would let the abuses slide.

When we exchanged phone numbers we we're shocked that we shared the same last 4 digits.  We also both lived with our grandparents and had younger brothers.  The similarities we shared we're numerous.

A few times, we cut class and walked down town.  One time we met at the mall on a Saturday and walked to the movie theater I worked at one city over. We ate at KFC's and he told me about the tagging pictures on the side of an old building.  This guy made me watch the debut of Michael Jackson's music video for You Rock My World, I am not a MJ fan. He danced in class for me and brightened my day.

Well, the fun and games came to an end mid year when Brian was transferred out of Spanish and his girlfriend was transferred in.  Girlfriend???  Yup.  We both we're dating others.  And she did NOT like me at all.  [Insert drama here]  Which really wasn't necessary because we really we're just friends.  And still are, friends first.

So to recap:

Spanish + Linkin Park = The Family Smith

Actually, it took us 4 years, 3 ex's between us, both moving away (San Diego for me, Chico for him) and then back home until we finally got together as a dating couple.  And the rest, as they say, is history ;)  But first, I leave you with these cringe- inducing Yearbook photos:

Funny, when I told Brian about this post with the yearbook open to his picture, I asked if it was OK to use it and he laughed so hard, "What was up with my hair?!"  We deemed it the 'faux dreads'.  Kinsey took one look at it and said, "Eww, disgusting."
The next installment of The Story of Us: the dating years.


Linking up with Andrea
Pinterest_Hover Instagram Google_Plus Facebook
Email Twitter Goodreads Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!