Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Word of the Year 2019

Humble 
[huhm-buhl, uhm-]
adjective,  hum·bler, hum·blest.
  1. not proud or arrogant; modest:
    to be humble although successful.
  1. having a feeling of insignificance,inferiority, subservience, etc.:In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.
  2. low in rank, importance, status, quality,etc.; lowly:
    of humble origin; a humble home.
Word of the Year 2019 on Work it Mommy blog

I have had this beautiful word following me around for awhile now. It crept up behind me in Monterey and planted itself firmly in my heart. The more I mulled it over, the more I saw (literal) signs of it all around me. Not one to disregard such persistence I embraced it.

Humble to me means being grounded and down to earth. Keeping my feet firmly planted but allowing my head to be in the clouds, dreaming. It is a balancing word. A check point within myself; a way to gauge my surroundings, or better still, how I am moving through life at this moment. Here is my action plan for 2019 utilizing my Word of the year:
Word of the Year 2019 on Work it Mommy blog
Spotted at Pier One Imports on December 23, 2018
Being humble in my wants:
In my journey towards simple living I have learned several truths that make this way of life the one for me; the less stuff I own, the freer I feel. The less time I have to dedicate to maintaing stuff is more time with my loved ones. The less I covet stuff the more content I am with what I already own. It is a daily reminder to waste not, want not and be thankful for all the blessings I have.
Word of the Year 2019 on Work it Mommy blog
Spotted at Mardel's in Oklahoma on October 31, 2018
Being humble before the Lord:
It is very clearly stated to come before the Lord as a little child and I fiercely pray I never forget how I felt that first time I came to know Christ. (All verses are English Standard Version translations)

With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. James 4:10

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted. Luke 14:11

Word of the Year 2019 on Work it Mommy blog
Spotted on December 30, 2018 at At Home
Being humble with my Family:
Sometimes I feel like my greatest failings are with my Family. I love them so much but find I fall short when I lose my patience when answering the same question for the umpteenth time. Or when I am trying to clean up dinner and someone asks for a snack. Or when I'm tired and don't want to get up from the couch to find someones lovey. It is in these times of personal struggle that I want to remind myself to breath first and then find that inner still, small voice, so that I may react in kindness. My Family is the greatest blessings I have ever been given and when I lose sight of that, that is when I truly fail.

I'll leave you with this excerpt from E.B White's Charlotte's Web:
Charlotte replied, “’Humble’ has two meanings. It means ‘not proud’ and it means ‘near the ground.’ That’s Wilbur all over. He’s not proud and he’s near the ground.”


2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015

Pinterest_Hover InstagramGoogle_Plus Facebook
Email Twitter Goodreads Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!